Our “Green” Efforts
Flavorman reduces carbon footprint by implementing the following “Green” practices:
- Ship liquid ingredients in highly concentrated form to save water, energy, packaging, transportation & handling expenses
- Work out of renovated historic warehouse for our headquarters; architectural design took advantage of natural sunlight
- Replacement of all old windows with new ones with sun screening properties
- Stepped-down ceiling in lab to conserve energy
- Differentiated lighting systems for lab so that all lights not automatically on
- High efficiency fluorescent lighting systems with electronic ballasts for warehouse
- Decorative shade trees planted around window-sided portions of facility
- Multi-directional blinds installed for all windows
- High efficiency heating and cooling systems spaced throughout facility
- Extra industrial insulation
- Special long-wear coating for building exterior
- Recycling program for all aluminum cans, plastic (PET) bottles, and paper of all kinds.
- Participant in city’s paper recycling program; all paper recycled
By implementing these practices Flavorman has drastically reduced the amount of garbage going to area landfills. Flavorman employees recently participated in a neighborhood cleanup for Earth Day. See a short article about it on our Flavorman in the Community page!
Flavorman recently had a professional auditor perform a commercial energy audit. In return they gave us a report of our energy usage and how we can make our building more energy efficient. They also gave us useful statistics on our current energy usage. The suggested energy usage for a building like ours is 44,000 BTU’s (British Thermal Units) per year and we use 42,217 BTU’s per year. Some of changes they suggested include installing motion detectors for our lights and programmable thermostats throughout the building. By implementing the suggestions they gave us we can save an estimated $795 on our energy bill every year.
This chart shows the materials that we recycle through our third party recycling company.
View this chart from our recycling company